Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lenten Discipline

Normally for Lent I take on the discipline of being more intentional about what I put in my body. This means giving up eating out and drinking pop, both of which are things I do because I didn't plan ahead for my day. So in being intentional, I try to bring my lunch (and/or dinner, if I have evening things, which I do almost every night). I pack my water bottles. I pass by Taco Bell rather than giving in to my every crunchwrap supreme craving. Etc.

This year I managed to fail at my discipline within about 36 hours. More than once.

And after talking with my therapist last week (and again this week) about my perfectionist tendencies and my not-helpful self-talk and my general feel of failure when I don't do things perfectly and all the time, I've decided to change my lenten discipline mid-stream. Granted, we're only a few days into Lent, which helps...

So this year I am going to give up perfectionism--in the sense that I am not going to talk badly to (or about) myself when I fail at something. I don't write every day? Not a cause to tell myself I'm lazy or stupid. I forgot my lunch and ran to Subway? Not a reason to remind myself of my idiotic forgetfulness. I skipped a morning workout? Doesn't mean I have to give up exercise because I won't get 90 minutes in, and doesn't make me a fat slob.

You get the idea.

So if you catch me talking bad about myself, please hold me accountable. Thanks...love Teri.

3 comments:

  1. I was fasting on Ash Wednesday, and planning to break my fast when we shared communion in worship that evening. Well, as I was preparing the communion bread (a delicious naan), I found myself unconsciously picking and nibbling. Had that feeling of, "You have GOT to be kidding me! I've been fasting for almost 24 hours, and I just blew it all?!" But really, didn't someone HAVE to check the communion bread to make sure it wasn't poisoned? I would hate having THAT on my conscience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Be gentle with yourself...I think that's what Jesus would do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, then - count me in - I'm in your circle of support.

    ReplyDelete