Monday, December 17, 2007

Another christmas idea....

Looking for a year-end giving opportunity? Looking for a new and different Christmas gift? How about microfinance that enables entrepreneurs in developing countries to open or expand their businesses. It's cool. You give $25, then they use it to develop their business, which helps bring them and their community out of poverty. They pay back the loan and you can reinvest in another person's small business. How neat! Learn more about someone you can help today by clicking the new box in the sidebar....I loaned some money to a woman in Africa who runs a general store in Tanzania, on the border with Uganda. The box in the sidebar updates automatically so you can see people whose businesses aren't yet fully funded.

Susan, thanks for the gift certificate that allowed me to start helping an African woman run a small business!

4 comments:

  1. I've been on KIVA for almost a year now. I love lending to people to let them help themselves, and I love that you can take the money they pay back and personally reinvest, making your one-time gift spread that much farther!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you got someone from Cambodia too!! They didn't have any when I wanted to reinvest, and I'd been watching the site for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you want to tell my kids where the money for their Christmas went, or should I bite the bullet myself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. make them a card telling them about the person and their business! I would love that kind of gift from my family. Alas, I'll get stuff. There are piles of presents that have been arriving by mail for two weeks. who knows where I'll put the stuff....Anyway, that's my idea for you! I hope it all works out. :-)

    ReplyDelete