Sunday, May 18, 2008

Reading Challenge 2008

Last night I finished Take This Bread, the RGBP book for Monday's discussion.  It's been a while since I finished a book ahead of the discussion, so I'm really proud of myself right now!

I really liked this book.  I enjoyed Sara Miles' honesty about her skepticism and cynicism about religion, her realization that her church wasn't "normal," and her willingness to follow her call.  I love the concept of BEING the bread for the world, and the stark reality that bread is at the center of our faith and also our life.  I spent a lot of the time I was reading this book wondering if I could make this one of the book options for confirmation class (there's some bad language and some acceptance of behaviors I don't want to promote among my 8th graders).  I haven't decided, but I love the story of doing what God calls you to do, of a real person encountering faith and doubt and call and the body of Christ, of LIVING faith not just believing it...and maybe even living it without believing everything.  Action can lead to belief, it doesn't necessarily have to be the other way around.

Anyway--I'm looking forward to Monday's discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment