Thursday, February 07, 2008

Reading Challenge 2008

I just finished Light from Heaven, the final book in the Mitford Years series. It was delightful. I'm a little sad that I'm done with this series, actually--especially given the way it ended! I want to know what happens to that strange cobbled together family! I'm not sure if the Father Tim series is one I'll pick up--we'll see.

In the non-reading sector, I watched Freedom Writers today. I'd not seen it before (big surprise). I really enjoyed that movie--I thought it was well done and it really told a story. I can see using it, and also the idea of youth writing their own stories, in church. My favorite scene (well, one of my faves, anyway!) is when "Mrs. G" (Erin Gruwell, played by Hillary Swank) keeps one of the kids in the hallway at the beginning of class. She tells him that his self-evaluation is unacceptable, and she says, "I can see who you are. Do you understand me? I. See. You. And you are not failing." Sometimes--in fact, often, I think--really seeing and really being seen are so rare in our world these days that it can be an important, moving, and healing thing. More than any other words, I think. "I see you." So great...

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the movie yet, but my baby sister who is a high school teacher in a urban high school keeps telling me how great it is. Its now in the Netflix cue. Thank you, and thank you (for the hug).

    ReplyDelete