Friday, March 17, 2006

Friday Five: Spring Break

For today's Friday Five, tell us about five ways you have spent a spring vacation or holiday, pleasantly or un-. And as a bonus question, describe your dream spring vacation.

We have no spring break in Egypt (sad!), but I fondly remember some of my past spring breaks....

1. A band trip to Hawaii my senior year of high school. We played like two concerts and a clinic, and spent the rest of our days on the beach, shopping, and at the cultural center. our hotel (in waikiki) was across the street from the Honolulu Zoo and about a 1.5 minute walk from Waikiki beaches. I got pretty sunburned on our last day, right down the middle of my head because I was wearing my hair in two french braid pigtails. I could barely lean my head back on the plane seat.

2. a last-minute Carnival Cruise with Katie on spring break of my first year at Columbia. It was excellent. Key West, Cozumel, days at sea, lovely food, lovely weather (mostly), lovely swimming, etc....only downside: we were the only young adults on the boat aside from four college-senior-boys from upstate NY whose sole purpose in coming on a cruise was to be as drunk as possible the whole time. Of course they were our assigned table mates. grr. all the other people on the cruise were old people or families with young children.

3. last year i spent spring break with my parents. It's the first time I've done that since my freshman year of college, and it was totally worth it. I wanted to spend as much time with my mom as possible, and I'm glad I did. It was a wonderful week and I was sad to leave (even though I hate Yakima). Mom and I watched the Food Network, read, took naps, sang along to music, went on outings (to the grocery store mostly), went to doctors appointments, gossipped about the family and the people in town, and cooked--well, I cooked while mom gave directions, mostly--for a week. it was great.

4. Since we don't have spring break in Egypt, I'll say something about the mid-year break (in January) when I took two fab trips: a cruise on the Nile and a trip to Italy. You've read all about those before, I know. (except not ALL about Italy because I got tired of writing after four of the seven days.) One of the highlights of Italy was climbing St. Peter's Dome and then climbing Brunelleschi's dome (The Duomo) in Florence. Having read books about Brunelleschi and Michelangelo and company, it was really really cool to go there and climb up and see how it all works. Awesome.

5. I can't remember a single spring break from college. I probably spent most of them in practice rooms, frantically preparing for spring recitals. Except my senior year, when I most likely spent it at church because I think spring break coincided with Holy Week. I wasn't exactly the wild-and-crazy college girl.

bonus: dream vacation? Safari in Africa. I can't wait to convince Jason that we should save up for a safari starting and ending at Victoria Falls and visiting Botswana in between. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment