Monday, January 29, 2007

in the dark....

it was night when we left the house, carrying only backpacks, and made our way to the bus station. We boarded a large charter-type bus with carpet-feeling seats. The other passengers were loudly speaking in languages we didn't understand, the movies they showed were not funny, the heat was not functional, the shocks didn't seem to work either, and often the headlights were optional.

We made it to (insert destination here: Sallum, Taba, Hurghada, whatever) in one piece, only through the grace of God.

At 4 this morning I went to a hotel and boarded a large charter/commuter bus with softer carpety upholstery, a functioning heater and brakes and headlights, with very few fellow passengers, all of whom spoke English. I was handed a newspaper as I boarded, the driver took care of my bags, and the lights stayed off the whole way to the airport. Granted, the drive is just an hour, but.....
I glanced at the front page of the paper and saw my own picture...and suddenly the trip wasn't feeling quite the same as those previous late-night-bus-trips....

No comments:

Post a Comment