Friday, March 15, 2013

Friday Five: tech!

Over at RGBP Jan is having an old-school experience, with no internet!! How do we survive? (lol)

In anticipation of the withdrawal, she left us with some questions about our own dependence on technology...

1. What types of technologies, like cell phones, computers, tvs, etc., do you routinely use? How frequently? 
Let's see...I use my phone and laptop a LOT. Like most of the day. I also have a kindle, which gets used pretty darn frequently! And while I own a tv, it doesn't get any channels--it's purpose is for DVDs and Wii, both of which get used less than I might like.

 2. What social media and/or games do you like to play? How often? On which device do you occupy yourself? Which method of social media do you prefer?
Facebook is my big time-suck, for sure. I also tweet, and read blogs. I like to play Words With Friends, but sometimes I get busy and forget to check it, which leads to losing games via forfeiting, because after a few days the game quits for you. :-(
I spend most of my time with my MacBook Pro, but also use my phone for quite a few things now that I have a smart one.

 3. Do you separate online activities between home and work? Or is it all the same everywhere?
The only thing I really keep at work is my work email--I often shut my email program down on my days off, and I don't have work email on my phone. Everything else is everywhere.

 4. Do you have a smart (or I-) phone? 
I resisted for a long time, because the cost was too high--both the bills AND the cost of being constantly connected. I got an iPhone as a Christmas gift, and the monthly bill is actually just a few dollars more than what I was paying before...though the cost of being constantly connected still remains to be calculated. I will say that there are several things that are a ton better with a smartphone, and I'm enjoying it.

 5. What do you wish you had--or do not have--in relation to these devices?
hmmm....I wish I had more self control about facebook. There's so much interesting stuff going on, so many links to click and articles to read and photos to enjoy and people to catch up with etc etc etc that it feeds my voracious brain...but that all takes time that I could also be doing something else.

 Bonus: What is the difference between your attitude towards these means of technology and a generation older or younger than you?
I suspect my attitude toward technology is right in line with my generation, by which I mean that I'm comfortable using it and I understand the benefits of using it in a variety of ways that drive older people nuts, but I also see the value of turning it all off and reading a book or going for a walk without my phone and that makes younger people squirm. :-)

1 comment:

  1. You are encouraging me about the cost of Iphone with internet coverage MAYBE not being too much more expensive. . . .

    ReplyDelete