Friday, October 02, 2020

counting down...19 more days!

I know some people learn this much earlier than I did.
And some much later....or never.
But it is true whenever it sinks in:

When you don't have anything to say, it's better to keep your mouth shut.

(a slight variation on "if you don't have anything nice to say"....because it applies to all sorts of situations!)

When I was 25 and being examined for ordination by a presbytery committee, an elder on the search committee at RCLPC (who drove me to said examination) reminded me how to answer questions. He took a pen out of his pocket and asked, "do you know what this is?" and I said, "yes." 
(Lesson: Always just answer the question you're asked, not the one you're not!)

In the coming years of ministry I would learn that lesson applies to things other than questions. It applies to preaching...and writing...and pastoral care...and session meetings...and, for the love of God, Presbytery/General Assembly meetings! if you don't have anything to add to what has already been said, keep your mouth closed. 

It applies to blogging too. And today....well....I will put it into practice. 😂



No comments:

Post a Comment