Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Friday Five: Friends

Okay, so it's Saturday here. But half a time zone away from my "home home" it's still Friday for 30 more minutes. So there.

It's funny that this is the theme for this week, because it's also the theme for my English class at the Coptic Cathedral next week, working from the story at the beginning of Mark 2 about the friends who take the roof off Peter's house to get a paralytic in to see Jesus. Hmm...

From the RGBP prompt by Songbird:
I've been reflecting this week on the gift of friendship, of people who will be there no matter what you need or when you need it. Sometimes a friend accompanies us through a dark place or dances with us through a joyful time or simply walks down the road of an ordinary time beside us.

Name five friends who have been there when you needed them.

I have so many friends who have been there when I needed them at so many different times, I barely know where to begin. In no particular order..

1. Rachel, who not only was an incredible Christian witness when I was "seeking", but who also showed up at my house, unannounced, bearing all kinds of gifts (snickers, three musketeers, m&m's, mango juice, and those stress-relieving chinese balls that make pretty noises...with pandas on them!) just when I arrived home after my mother's death. Always one who gives good advice, reads enough to keep up with me (or maybe i read enough to keep up with her?), and has a great sense of humor. Not to mention caring and wonderful, etc etc etc.

2. Jason. Jason and I are pretty much always there for each other. I can't even begin to describe the ways Jason is wonderful, so we'll just leave it like this: Thank you, God, for Jason.

3. Noell. I love Noell. She's smart and funny and talented and wonderful, and whenever I need to do something, she's there motivating me, and whenever I have a crisis, she's there reminding me that she loves me and God loves me and it will, eventually, probably be okay. We have cooked together, eaten together (even the secret cheese grits), played together, previewed the Passion movie and then sat in stunned silence over Brick Store food together, written essays together, cried together, worried about other friends together....I hope we keep doing those things. Also, Noell sends me mail in Egypt and I love that. :-)

4. Amy. I love Amy. Again with the everything-ness...cooking, studying, Buffying, not studying, pride-and-prejudice-ing, playing Buffy hangman, crying, fighting, getting over it, etc etc etc. Whenever I have needed someone, Amy's been there--even if it's by email (since I live across the ocean and all that).

5. Martha. I don't know how to describe Martha either...she's great. Whenever I need a self-confidence pick-me-up, Martha's there. Whenever I need advice, Martha's there. Whenever I need an extra mom, Martha's there. Whenever I need anything, pretty much, there she is. Complete with healthy food to boot. Amazing woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment